D. F. Krieger

Friday, December 31, 2010

Sail My Oceans-Day 2

Where did we leave off?  Oh yes, 4,546 words.  As mentioned in yesterdays blog; even though I posted my word count for the day just after midnight, I was going to stay up and work some more.  That idea didn't work out quite so well. I was able to pound on the keyboard only for a short while before I started nodding off.  When I finally threw in the towel, I left off at 4,854 words.  Not my proudest moment.

I slept like the dead and, upon waking up, got my computer as quickly as I could.  I was inspired, motivated, and ready to rock and roll.  Today was my wedding anniversary with my husband, and I was getting Outback Steakhouse for dinner.  There was nothing that could ruin my day.  Not even when, at 5,138 words I had to threaten my 5 year old's life over eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (because today it was the sandwich that was out to kill him).  I ended up grounding him to his room; and spent a good deal of time contemplating grounding him there for the duration of this book.

At 6,364 words I was able to confidently draw chapter two to a close.  A close friend of mine, who happens to spend a lot of time in the living room using our big screen TV, was saddled with the task of babysitting the kids.  My husband, once home from work, was promptly drug out the door and straight to Outback Steakhouse in the name of our wedding anniversary.

My husband had bought me a beautiful ten gallon fishtank for Christmas.  I've always had fishtanks growing up, but when I moved here earlier this year, I was unable to bring my old ones with me.  We went to Petsmart where, with a broad smile on my face, I carefully chose my fish.  Of course I have to be difficult.

I'm a sucker for goldfish.  You know, those little ones that are thirteen cents, and there are about a gazillion of them packed in one tank.  Yeah, I chose one specific fish and pointed it out to my husband.  The clerk, amused by my husbands belief that he could catch it with no trouble, handed him the fish net and told him to "Have fun."  Mr. Krieger valiantly chased the fish down and, within moments, I had my prized tri-colored mini-koi, as well as some of it's tank mates, safely in a bag.  Add a corydora (albino of course), a golden dojo loach, and some mollies; and I was a happy girl.

Once we got settled in for the night, I tried typing away diligently at my computer...But between thinking about pirates for this new story, which in turn caused me to remember my new pretty fish, which in turn caused me to wander into the kitchen to stare at them in vast amusement... (To be fair, my cat and the kittens we are fostering for a local SPCA are enjoying staring at the tank far more then I)...Well let's just say I didn't get much done.

So what's today's ending word count?  6,807

But I promise I'll sit here and type for the next few hours to make up for all my fun!

No comments: