D. F. Krieger

Friday, January 28, 2011

System Overload!

Today is a perfect day for me to blog about this topic because I'm currently experiencing it.  Right now I'm in the middle of four crits, the Shamrock Challenge, editing Panthers In the Playground, writing Wings of Obsidian, and all kinds of other normal routine home-making stuff.  By the way, I hate laundry. Is it sad I'd rather clean a cat litter box then fold laundry? Anyways, back to the point.

How do you chose what goes to the backburner?

I'll give you a hint, it ties in with last weeks topic.  Yup, you got it! Deadlines.  Obviously things with deadlines are going to take a little precedence.  The crits I'm working on are all due back by Sunday. My weekend is booked (my PS3 has accused me of cheating on it, so I need to soothe it's feelings. Not to mention my cross-stitching has blackmailed a movie day from me. Damn needy things!) so today is my only day to really sit down and give the critiques the attention they deserve.

The Shamrock Challenge isn't even accepting submissions until February 14th, and doesn't close until March 17th.  So that project, for the moment, can kind of shimmy half-way to the back burner. I won't be able to put it off for much longer, but I'm pretty sure if I start writing on it on February 1st I'll be in good shape.

As for Panthers and Obsidian, well I understand those are personal projects and don't exactly have a deadline.  But that brings me to my previous post, Help Yourself. It is one of my goals to get Panthers accepted for publishing this year. Therefor it is the project I'm concentrating on the most when it comes to having it critiqued and doing edits to.  Obsidian, on the other hand, is for those days that Panthers is out of my hands (aka I'm waiting on a crit) and I really, really need to write.  I see a lot of potential in both stories, but in all fairness, Panthers was done first.

Funny story that.  My husband solved the issue when I had three stories vying for attention, but didn't know which one to buckle down and work on.  He literally set it up so that I drew it out of a hat, a fedora to be precise. Panthers it was.  My third story, Stratian Rose, is a sci-fi and a little more complicated in world building, so it's been shoved waaay back on the burner.

Anything else that pops up and demands to be written get's promptly told to take a number, enter it's basic information in my little black book, and politely pointed in the direction of the waiting room.

How do you guys prevent system overload? ~ D. F. Krieger

No comments: