D. F. Krieger

Monday, February 28, 2011

Inspiration Strikes

I have become obsessed. I want it wild, I want it loud, I want it rough and overwhelming. I don't want it soft and gentle. I don't want it to last for hours, or even days. I want it fast and hard, but done in an hour. I want it to build up before it surrounds me, then leave me astonished and awe inspired in it's wake.

I want a real thunderstorm! "Thunder" being the key part of that.

I started a new WIP last night, and the prologue is set with a storm raging outside. It was so vivid in my head that when I looked out to see the clear, cloudless night I felt confused and disappointed. I was disheartened. I wanted it to storm *whining voice*.

The gods must have heard me. Whatever they sent to thrash Missouri, Arkansas, Illinois, etc with; they are sending it here. The day has been warm, clouds have been progressively moving in, and I couldn't be happier. It's only 4:30 in the afternoon and I've already had to turn on lights in the house to see well. I'm so excited that, though I've found it difficult to pick up a pencil or form a sentence at a keyboard lately, I'm just itching to write now.

I'm definitely making dinner and forcing my five year old to watch Twister with me while we eat. As for my writing, I'll get plenty of that done, I'm sure!

So what inspires you all to write? Is it a weather? Music? Or do you just have to wait for inspiration to sizzle your soul? ~ D. F. Krieger

6 comments:

Angelina Rain said...

The instant I wake up I want to write. However, if I were to write before having my coffee, it wouldn’t even be readable. My biggest inspirations to write are just when I start a new story and the idea is wonderful and fresh in my mind, and then I’m close to finishing a story. Those are my best writing times when I actually pump out 3,000 plus words at a time rather.

D. F. Krieger said...

Coffee for you sounds like tea for me. Can't even think coherently until that first sip of tea. 3k+? Wow, go girl! That's awesome wordage when you get motivated!

Murphy said...

A great song. I usually hear a new song for the first time and it becomes my new WIP's theme song. Whenver I get stuck or blocked I listen to it and I get all inspired again. :)

M.

D. F. Krieger said...

Hey Murphy! I know the feeling. I try to write with headphones on (and it's not just to block the hubby's video games out).

N.M. Martinez said...

I admit I love a good storm. Especially when the power goes out. (And it always does here because it rains so rarely.)

I don't always know what inspires me. Sometimes I'll just be sitting there staring off into space and suddenly a thought pops into my head and I've got to write it down.

D. F. Krieger said...

PS- The storm never came that night. We had high winds and occasional sprinkling. I was so disappointed!