D. F. Krieger

Monday, February 21, 2011

Keep Your Story Straight

Okay, hiatus is officially over. My planner gave me a thorough talking to and I'm back on the bandwagon. Not that I have much choice. I mean, have you heard the profanities that my planner can use? Geesh! Apparently, to put it in more delicate terms, I'm a thoughtless slacker. But enough about my butt chewing from Hctib Yenihw (read it very carefully people).

Some of you may remember the direction I was taking in the post Death In the Details. If not, I'll give you a quick overview. I pointed out that a writer, regardless of all the major plot points we have to synchronize and create, must always remember to pay attention to the smaller details. Your hero's eye color, for instance. The clothing your heroine was wearing last scene.

But I have villains to conquer and eternal love to create!

Yes, yes, I know. Don't we all? *Sigh* I mean, look at me. In Wings of Obsidian, I have an entire race to save. But that doesn't change the fact we must always remember our heroines shoulder length hair and how it brushes her hips. Ah! See?

But...that's so much to remember. Can't I just skip details like that?

Nope, sorry. But if you want that book to be read, people must know your characters. People can't know your characters unless they feel like they're real. And no one will feel Mr. Blank Face with the *Insert* Hair that wears ~Description~ clothes is a man they are going to root for.

Okay, okay. *Grumble sigh* Well then, how do you do it Smarty Pants?!

Ah, I thought you'd never ask! I do it like this: 1) Character Bible and 2) Chapter Synopsis

Character Bible?! What the heck is-

Shhhh! I'll let you in on that secret come Wednesday. Until then ~ D. F. Krieger

1 comment:

Navywife102409 said...

Sounds like your planner needs to read this!! haha. http://www.someecards.com/2011/02/17/human-resources-memo-offers-foul-language-alternatives?ref=nf