D. F. Krieger

Friday, February 25, 2011

Take By Take

"Do you suffer from long term memory loss?
I don't remember..." - Chumbawamba

I can't quite remember what I was doing yesterday, or what I was even wearing. Heck, often I don't remember what I cooked for dinner last night. It's hard to have memory issues, especially for a woman who used to be able to recall every detail from an event that happened five years ago. The doctors say there isn't really anything they can do about the amnesia I incurred during the wreck, or anything to make my memory better day to day.

That being said, I've always been a stubborn person. Independant (cause groups scare me), self-controlled (if I don't move much, you can't tell I'm shaking from social anxiety), and witty (sarcasm as a defense mechanism is my friend!). I wasn't going to let something like memory affect my greatest dream: Being a writer. Okay so my real dream is being a published writer, but one step at a time.

I had to learn how to adapt. I was never a note taker, I scoffed at planners. Now my planner lays across my keyboard at night so it's the first thing I see when I get up in the morning. I post a weeks worth of preplanned nightly dinners on my fridge so I know what I'm cooking for dinner that night. I keep my bottle of vitamins on the table at my place so when I sit down to eat, I see and remember to take them.

I've also had to make adaptations in my writing. I talked Wednesday about Character Bibles. That's great for keeping track of a characters personal stats. But what about story line. I mean, it's been three days, has my hero showered recently? My character had a dinner with his king in chapter 3, but who all sat with them? I don't want to flip through the entire chapter for just that info. Or an entire book. That's why I use *cue dramatic music* Chapter by Chapter Synopsis.

It's much easier when you have something that highlights events in each chapter than to hunt them down. Not only are CCS's good for keeping track of what your characters are doing; they also help when you need to write that submission synopsis. I...had a thought here, but a moving van just pulled up at my neighbors house and distracted me. Maybe the new neighbors will be nice? ~ D. F. Krieger

No comments: