D. F. Krieger

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Unexpectedly Expecting

Yes, it's true. On Monday I found out I'm unexpectedly expecting. Oh, it's not like we weren't trying, but after eight months you kind of hit a slump where you think, "It'll never happen." But it did, oh it did.

All of this got me to thinking about writing. Yeah, there is a connection here. Jump with me!

I have to wonder how many writers out there are going through the motions of sending out their manuscript, but not even really thinking about the possibility of getting accepted anymore? How many, when they did receive that reply saying the publisher wanted it, blinked and had to wrap their mind around it?

I'd once compared become published to the process of giving birth to a baby in Submission Sickness. I never really thought about the comparison that conception can be as difficult as gaining acceptance from a publisher.

If you are published: Had you reached that level of dull motion when you received the big "Yes"?
If you aren't published: Have you reached that level of dull motion?
~ D. F. Krieger

4 comments:

Angelina Rain said...

Congradulations, congradulations, congradulations! I’m very happy for you. Are you wishing for a boy or a girl?

As for the answer to your question: The instant I got my first acceptance email, I was so shocked that I re-read it multiple times just to make sure I wasn’t dreaming.

N.M. Martinez said...

Congratulations! I saw you mention the morning sickness on Twitter today. How exciting!

And I'm not going through those motions. You know, I just never wanted to do the whole submission thing.

D. F. Krieger said...

@ Angelina - We're hoping for a girl, but honestly we'll be happy as long as the baby is healthy. I'll probably feel the same when I receive a 'Yes'

@ N. M. - Thanks you :) Are you planning on self publishing? Or do you write for the sheer joy of it?

N.M. Martinez said...

I do a bit of both. I have a project I'm working on preparing for self publishing, but mostly I write just because it's fun and then I share it with friends.