D. F. Krieger

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

You Get What You "Kneed"

Sorry for the obvious pun in the title, but I'm trying to be as light hearted about this as possible. My knee is being churlish and won't agree to any bribery or negotiations I've offered, pleaded, or threatened. Because of this, I've been on bedrest for two days (maybe three now?) and I'm not seeing a meeting of the minds any time soon.

Patellar Femoral Tracking (or Syndrome). I just know it hurts. To make it short, it's almost like arthritis in the cartilage under the knee cap. It can be caused by an irregular gait, or an injury to your knee. Mine was caused by a two year old doing a flying tackle leap about six years ago. He knocked my knee cap sideways and the rest is history.

It doesn't act up all the time. I can't really get up and down stairs on a good day, but I can usually walk just fine. There is the constant knowledge that at any moment my knee might randomly decide to give (and I swear I hear evil laughter when it does). Maybe my leg is really demon possessed? Either way, it totally popped out and gave when I was getting into the tub for a shower a few nights ago. It's been double it's size and I've been using a brace and a cane to even get from room to room.

My husband has called the doctor, but they can't see me until May 9th. They highly recommend we go to a walk in clinic. We'll be doing that Friday (me driving myself is kinda out of the question, so I have to wait until Hubby has a day off), but until then the doctor strongly suggests that I keep my leg straight and elevated at all times. He obviously doesn't know what it's like to have a house full of kids.

Anyway, short spurts at the computer are the best I can manage (because I use a desktop and can't just drag the computer onto my lap). I hope to get better soon and, with luck, some nice pain pills. Until I do, I'll be ghosting off and on. If anybody sees an exorcist, maybe you could send them my way? ~ D. F. Krieger

1 comment:

N.M. Martinez said...

Ow ow! I'm sorry to hear you're in such pain. Take care of yourself!