D. F. Krieger

Monday, May 23, 2011

Level Up!

On Thursday night I inadvertently convinced my husband that someone had died. What else is he suppose to think when I pick up my phone, check my e-mail, and then start bawling my eyes out? It took me handing him the phone before he understood my emotional breakdown.

You see, after receiving some bad news at the doctor's office Wednesday (we're officially suffering a miscarriage) I did the only thing I could to cope...I planted myself in my computer chair, applied myself to making one last round of edits to "Sail My Oceans", creating a one-page synopsis, and formatting a query letter. I sent it Thursday evening. That same night I received an e-mail from the publishing company. I figured it was the standard, "We received your submission. Please give us blah blah amount of time to look it over." When I opened it, I saw it was addressed specifically to me.


Oh, that's a nice extra touch. They actually put your name in the standard acknowledgment e-mail. But then I read further...

"We would be happy to publish-"  <--I read those six words a few times before I realized what I was looking at. That's when I started to cry. I think I continued crying off and on for about two hours. When I e-mailed them back telling them I was happy to accept a contract with them, I was good and stuffed up from crying.

I have no idea if the title will stay the same. I have been informed that my projected release date is in July. I just know that such good news couldn't have come at a better time. I'm a firm believer in karma, and that everything bad has to be counteracted by something good. I'm not happy we've lost our pregnancy, nor do I think this is a good counter balance to that fact; but I'm certainly thankful that something happened to help me deal with such bad news.

The other writers from the publisher have already welcomed me with warm smiles and open arms. They've been super nice, super funny, and super supportive to the new kid on the block. They're also all super talented. If you want something to read, I highly recommend checking out the ladies at Evernight Publishing! My new sisters armed with pens. ~ D. F. Krieger

11 comments:

Avril Ashton said...

Congrats to you! And yes, I think after your devastating loss, you were due some good news :)


~Avril

D. F. Krieger said...

Thank you for stopping by Avril! I thank you very much. I'm thrilled to now be counted in the ranks with wonderful writers like yourself.

Heather Thurmeier said...

Congrats on your contract!!! I had that exact moment only a few months ago and I did the same thing. I couldn't even get the words out of my mouth to tell DH before I started crying so I just pointed at my phone like a lunatic! I was in a restaurant lobby at the time. I can only imagine what the other patrons were thinking! LOL. Enjoy your accomplishment and keep us posted with cover etc. Congrats again!

D. F. Krieger said...

Oh wow, Heather! Congrats on your contract. You've made me glad I was in my own kitchen. I'll be certain to keep everyone updated!

Eleri Stone said...

So sorry for your loss but so happy to hear about your new contract.

D. F. Krieger said...

Thank you Eleri, I really appreciate it.

Dawna said...

This is awesome and it couldn't come at a better time for you. Congrats again!

Angelina Rain said...

I’m so sorry about your loss. But I’m also happy you’re getting published. Evernight is a great publisher and you will love working with them.

Jen Kirchner said...

I'm so sorry about the baby. That's awful. It's so hard to turn right around and leave a positive comment about the publishing news! I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. Congrats to you on the book... and I'm sorry about the baby.

D. F. Krieger said...

Dawna - I feel the same way!

Angelina - I'm so happy to be accepted in to such a lovely bunch of authors, yourself included.

Jen - It hurts, a lot, but I have two other children I have to keep my head up for. I think your comment hit the nail on the head for how I'm feeling.

Thanks everyone for being so supportive!

N.M. Martinez said...

I completely forgot to say congrats on this! My friend Karyn had a really good experience with them from the sounds of it.

Your book will do wonderfully, I'm sure. I'm glad you got some good news amidst the bad.