D. F. Krieger

Monday, August 15, 2011

"Isn't It Ironic?"

I have always loved that song by Alanis Morissette. The lyrics I loved most were:

Well life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
When you think everything's okay and everything's going right
And life has a funny way of helping you out when
You think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up
In your face

It describes life for me in a way that nothing else can, right now. Most of you have heard of my new job I landed on Friday. With my husband leaving today for another week (oh the joys of military living), I was happy to receive an e-mail from my boss putting me to work on two stories already. YAY. I really needed the distraction and I'm happy with the timing.

The stuff that is blowing up in my face? We made an offer on a house on Friday as well. Its beautiful and perfect and I think when we move in 18 years, I'm going to be quite sad to leave it. Problem is, I took my husbands car a couple of weeks ago to have the oil changed. The idiots must not have checked the tranny fluid before putting some in, because they over-filled it. When my husband is gone, his car isn't drove much. I have my own, which I let my brother borrow because I barely leave the house. Well hubby drove the car last week and it started stuttering and leaking tranny fluid. Large amounts of tranny fluid. I checked it (why yes, I did used to rebuild 80's model cars and I can diagnose car problems) and the tranny fluid is over full. Waaaay over full.

So now I've got to pay a mechanic to drain the transmission fluid, replace it with the right amount, and check for any damage to the engine block where tranny fluid spewed all over it. Couple this with the fact that we've been informed of roughly a thousand dollars worth of miscellaneous fees involved with purchasing a house (we've never done this before so we were taken off guard) and I'm about to sit in a corner and rock myself. We don't have that kind of money just sitting around. Fortunately my father in-law sent some to help with the house fees. My brother, who will still be living with us, isn't willing to give up his chance of getting his own room. He sleeps in the living room right now. So he's willing to pay whatever we need to buy the house.

Now, to see how much the mechanic will cost. Hopefully, the world will favor us and it'll be a cheap fix. I can only pray. But until them, I'm going to throw myself into writing my own work and editing at my new job. Yes, I'm totally stoked to admit I am part of the real work force again. Fear me and my Purple Pen of Editing DOOM! ~ D. F. Krieger

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

Hope everything works out okay for you. Keep smiling and keep writing.

D. F. Krieger said...

Thank you, Lorraine. I'm sure everything will work out. The good and the bad are currently in equal balance. :)

CJ said...

I love it that solutions showed up. I've been pretty panicked around some money things as well. So yesterday I made a list of how to make some money. Made me feel way better to know I'm in charge of my fate/future. With a little luck and the support of my friends, I'm gonna make it through, just like you.