D. F. Krieger

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Writer's Honor Code

Usually I don't do this many posts in one week, but I was inspired. I joined a writer's group on Facebook last night and one of the posts was someone asking if there was an honor code among writers (like among thieves). Several people had responded, but I noticed there didn't seem to be a good, solid answer.

Gah! I must have an honor code,because now that I know there isn't one, it makes a little voice in the back of my head scream and writhe like a child having a tantrum. I WANT AN HONOR COOOOODE!

I did what any writer would do. I found one! Okay, so really I made it up, but my blog, my rules, right? Right.

Writer's Honor Code

1) One must never steal ideas when a fellow writer posts a WIP on their blog/website/etc.

2) One must not treat their fellow writer with actions born of jealousy

3) One must not scoff at other genres or the writers that write them.

4) One must be just as willing to give support to their fellow writer as demand it.

5) One must not think less of a fellow writer for choosing a different publishing route.

6) One must never try to one-up a fellow writer, especially in public.

7) One must always remember that an unpublished writer is still a writer.

There's my seven rules of the Writer's Honor Code. I made seven because it's an awesome number (and I couldn't think of anything else within the five minute period I had to scribble this down). Now, go forth my fellow writers and REMEMBER THE CODE!!! ~ D. F. Krieger

6 comments:

Melody the First said...

I love it!! I'm posting a link to this post on my blog.

Kathleen Grieve said...

I agree 100%! Thanks for putting voice to what should be common sense!

N.M. Martinez said...

I love it! Perfect. Yes, we need an honor code among writers.

Carolyn Rosewood said...

Wonderful code!! :)

Ebony Dreams said...

I love this D.F.! It is so true.

CJ said...

PERFECT! I'm going to post a link to this as well. :)

What's the writer's group on FB?