D. F. Krieger

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Disembodied Body Parts

Who the hell made this rule? Please, someone point it out to me and, while you are at it, point me in the direction of whoever made it so my foot can kick their rear-end! For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, let me give you an example.

She leaned against him, seeking comfort, and smiled when his arms wrapped around her. <--See that? That is considered wrong.

She leaned against him, seeking comfort, and smiled when he wrapped his arms around her. <--That is suppose to be right.

Personally, I hate this "Disembodied Body Parts" rule. I hate enforcing it as an editor and I hate abiding by it as an author. Now I could see it if say, something like this was written:

His eyes followed her across the room. <--- Yeah, I can see where it sounds like his eyes popped out of his head and floated after her.

His gaze followed her across the room. <--True, much better.

But her hand can't slide down his back? His finger can't trail across her jawline? Really?! Anyone else hate this rule or have a writing rule they hate? ~ D. F. Krieger

5 comments:

wlynnchantale said...

Oh yeah, I hate that rule, sorta don't like the one that says I have to stay in one POV, but I'm getting used to it. :-)

kastil said...

I loathe this rule and had an editor ripped me a new asshole for not following it. I think it's more sensual to wirte "his arms wrapped..." than "He wrapped his arms..."

Tara said...

Rofl.. That sucks. As a reader, I don't even notice that so I think they are worried over nothing there. I hate the adverb rule.. Cause I love adverbs!!! LOL

gayl said...

There are times I get so caught up in the rules that I can't write. Obvious errors, I agree but seriously, no arm-wrapping? I don't think there is a reader out there who pays that much attention.

Lorraine said...

I hate that rule, too. We have to use he/she so much already, that sometimes, it puts you over the top and you just want to tear out your hair.

Tara, I also love adverbs!!!