D. F. Krieger

Monday, December 26, 2011

Must Read Monday: A Facebook Affair

My night job is as an author, but I also have a *le gasp!* day job. Except, I actually like mine. Okay, in all honesty? I love my day job. I'm an editor. Yep that's right, I'm one of those evil people that you submit your manuscript to and, when I'm done, you cry in the corner. My author's curse my name and dread my e-mails...

But you know what? That's just me putting my evil nature to good. Because, in the end, after the bleeding edits and the author/editor arguments (Yes, you DO have to open that door and show us the sex!), something worth it all is left, waiting for its big release day. I'm so proud of my authors. The end result is: Must Read Mondays.

When Kelly and Brandon rediscover each other on Facebook after twenty years apart, it sparks an attraction that even distance can't extinguish. Do they truly have a future, or is this just a Facebook affair?


Kelly Littleton takes the plunge and finally joins Facebook to socialize without the limits that her hearing impairment gives her. On a whim, she looks up a childhood friend. In sending him that first message, she ignites the memories of a crush from twenty years ago. But will they turn into the flames of romance, or end up the ashes of a Facebook affair?


Brandon Hopkins has a lot on his plate. A recent divorce, a pregnant sister, and now, he realizes he's in love with a woman who lives states away. Can he overcome the boundaries of internet romance to make this desire turn into something real, or will adversity and distance be their undoing?

Points of this book I love? For one I love the fact the relationship sparks off the internet without being from a dating website. My husband and I met online, and no, it wasn't a dating website. So watching their flirtation grow through their messages puts a smile on my face because I remember what it was like.
I also love the fact the heroine is hearing impaired. I once had a reader complain that she wished more hero/ines had to face handicaps and impairment challenges. The reader herself was mute. She felt small and less worthy when she read about all these perfect characters. I e-mailed her to let her know about this book and she was thrilled! I recommend this book to anyone who has a friend or family member who is hearing impaired. My father is deaf and, growing up, I never thought much of it. To me, it was normal lifestyle. But reading this book and what the heroine goes through really puts things in to perspective the struggles he must face every day that we take for granted.

This is certainly a Must Read on my list! ~ D. F. Krieger

2 comments:

Tara said...

Wow. I'm mind boggled. LOL. Thank you. And I agree with your mute friend. I, too, have complained about that and that was one of the reasons I made one of my heroines..."less than perfect."

And I've never cursed your name. LOL

Janet said...

Wow is right that is a very good blog post. Very good points about the characters always being so perfect. This book to me shows how human and mean a world can be for any child that isn't the norm per say. I loved this book.