D. F. Krieger

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Writer Wednesday: Writer's Honor Code

I posted the original back in August of last year and many of you enjoyed it. I'm reposting it today because I've noticed there seems to be a lot of strife lately amongst us writers. What? Why? That makes no sense. But I see it nonetheless, and so I thought it was time to remind everyone of the code again.

I joined a writer's group on Facebook roughly six months ago and one of the posts was someone asking if there was an honor code among writers (like among thieves). Several people had responded, but I noticed there didn't seem to be a good, solid answer.

Gah! I must have an honor code,because now that I know there isn't one, it makes a little voice in the back of my head scream and writhe like a child having a tantrum. I WANT AN HONOR COOOOODE!

I did what any writer would do. I found one! Okay, so really I made it up, but my blog, my rules, right? Right.

Writer's Honor Code

1) One must never steal ideas when a fellow writer posts a WIP on their blog/website/etc.

2) One must not treat their fellow writer with actions born of jealousy

3) One must not scoff at other genres or the writers that write them.

4) One must be just as willing to give support to their fellow writer as demand it.

5) One must not think less of a fellow writer for choosing a different publishing route.

6) One must never try to one-up a fellow writer, especially in public.

7) One must always remember that an unpublished writer is still a writer.

8) One must always remember that it is not a competition to see who has the biggest back list/best publisher/greatest genre/most fans. 
 

There's my eight rules of the Writer's Honor Code. I made eight because it's an awesome number (and I couldn't think of anything else within the five minute period I had to scribble this down). Now, go forth my fellow writers and REMEMBER THE CODE!!! ~ D. F. Krieger

1 comment:

Angelina Rain said...

I totally agree with all of those. Good points and good rules.