D. F. Krieger

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Writer Wednesday: Co-Authoring

In light of my recent release, I thought I'd touch on the subject of co-authoring today. What is it, how do you do it, and who should you do it with? Are you sure you want to know? Well read on.

I'll let you in on a little secret: co-authoring is a lot like sex. You should only do it with someone you are really compatible with and enjoy. Like sex, just because you do it once doesn't mean you are stuck forever after with them. They have their thing they do, you have yours, and life goes on if you never come together again.

Unlike actual relationships, co-authoring can be done with many people. It has no boundaries. You might get the jealous writer here or there that throws a fuss that you wrote with someone else, but for the most part you can throw your pen around as much as you like and no one will get ticked. It allows you to expand on things you never thought possible.

I have found co-authoring to have both pro's and cons. I will list them for you so you can make a decision as to whether it is something you might want to experience.


Pro's
*You will find the opportunity to write things you may never have thought about writing before.

*If you are burned out, co-authoring may bring the fun back in writing.
*Since you are splitting the work load, books seem to go by faster.
*Editing is less painful as you can edit each others sections.
*Co-authoring allows you to gain exposure to the other author's readers.

Con's
*You do not have complete control over the plot or characters.

*You do not have control over how long the other author takes to write their section and return it.
*You may have to compromise on the publishing company you submit to.
*Royalties are split between the both of you.


I found co-authoring with Sonia Hightower to be one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done. I would often laugh until I cried as I read her sections. The feeling that I was bantering with her allowed me to display a wit and sense of humor in The Submission that I'm not sure I could have achieved without her. If you have a writer friend that you really get along with, I suggest talking about co-authoring. Sonia and I have found that it is easier for us to hammer out the entire plot first, then fill in details as we go. In that, we are both aware of how the book is suppose to end, but are able to call scenes as we see fit.

In a shameless bit of self promotion, I'd like to present The Submission:

Currently on sale for 3.39! Click to buy!

The editor is always right... 

Katia Lane, a down on her luck writer, finds this out the hard way. When she submits an erotic tale to Daring Desires Publishing, one head strong woman meets another as an author/editor war ensues. There's no room for a diva in the publishing industry...and Sylvia L. Avers means to demonstrate this to the fledging writer. When you submit a manuscript to Daring Desires, you submit more than a book...you submit yourself.

As a BDSM conference nears, both women prepare to face off. Which one is going to be on top?
Be Warned: f/f sex, sex toys, BDSM, public exhibition

1 comment:

gayl said...

This was an especially interesting post to me having just done this myself. I couldn't agree more with the things you said. When you find the right author to work with and you plan from beginning to end, it goes smoothly. And of course the compatibility thing is important too. Having someone to feed off of, to inspire things you wouldn't have thought of makes it work. It isn't for everyone but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Thanks for posting this. It was good seeing someone else's take on it.