D. F. Krieger

Monday, June 18, 2012

Must Read Monday: For Love of Evil

This isn't a book I edited. I figured for once I'd post a book I've adored for a long time. Maybe it will inspire you to pick up some books from your past?

Click to Buy!


The Man Who Would Be Satan
Parry was a gifted musician and an apprentice in the arts of White Magic. But his life of sweet promise went disastrously awry following the sudden, violent death of his beloved Jolie. Led down the twisted path of wickedness and depravity by Lilah the harlot demoness, Parry thrived -- first as a sorceror, then as a monk, and finally as a feared inquisitor. But it wasn't until his mortal flame was extinguished that Parry found his true calling -- as the Incarnation of Evil. And, at the gates of Hell, he prepared to wage war on the master himself -- Lucifer, the dark lord -- with dominion over the infernal realms the ultimate prize!

I've always been a huge fan of Piers Anthony. His writing has been, to me, both a teacher and a source of pleasure. I'd be lying if I didn't admit to having quite a few of his books on my book shelf. Yes, real, physical copies that I guard like a dragon with treasure. The very first book I picked up when I graduated from the children's section of the library was a Piers Anthony, dusty and on a stack of books at the house of one of my mother's friends.

Piers Anthony writes high fantasy, and often with a sense of extreme humor that usually borders on sarcasm. His wit is matched only by his ability to imagine new things. In this book series, he writes about each of the forces that rules our very existence: Time, Mother Nature, War, Fate, Evil...

Out of all the books I've read of this series, For Love of Evil has always been my favorite. The questions he poses as Satan, and the way he runs things, really follows after my own heart on how things should be done. The punishment should fit the crime and those dirtied by sins not of their own doing shouldn't be punished to begin with. The rules of what makes someone good enough to go to 'heaven' are warped and really should be thought about. We won't even get into the emotional struggle that Parry himself goes through in losing his wife, fighting temptation from the greatest temptress of all, then taking over the spot of the greatest bad guy in the realm of man...when he's not bad at all. This many levels of  philosophical ideals coupled with great writing has always, and will always make this book a Must Read Monday for me. ~ D. F. Krieger

No comments: