D. F. Krieger

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Writer Wednesday: Sign My E-Book!

It has come to my attention that I have many, many e-books on my Kindle...and very few of them are signed. This makes me a sad reading fanatic. Wait a minute, you didn't know you could sign an e-book? Oh, let me dish some options out to you!

Kindlegraph: An awesome invention that requires only a twitter account and allows authors to sign your copy of their work.

Okay, I have to say it again; Kindlegraph is made of awesome! See how it is in color? Yeah? That means it is linked to the website, so...CLICK IT! Oh, wait! Before you do, let me explain it to you.

What Authors Do: You make an account by using your Twitter account (oh, look, I linked that too. Aren't I helpful?!) Then you add a book, but you'll need your Amazon ASIN. To add a book, there will be a link at the bottom of the page that says "Authors, sign up here!" Even if you are already an established author with Kindlegraph, you'll still need to click that so it can take you to the option to add a book. Following with me so far? Good. Now all you do is wait... Or advertise. Advertising your book is available for signing via Kindlegraph is always cool too.

What Readers Do: You get the fun and easy job. All you have to do is go to the Kindlegraph website, log in with your Twitter account, then search for the author or book you want signed. You can even send the author a message along with your request (Note: This is a perfect opportunity to go all fan-girl and gush about your favorite part of the story.) Then you wait.

What Happens: The author will receive an e-mail notifying them that they have a Kindlegraph waiting. When they log in, they can go to their pending requests. Click, sign, input personal message, send. Yay!

Signing: This isn't as scary or as intimidating as some may think. You can use a Bamboo tablet to make a personal signature, but not all of us are going to purchase something like that. There are a couple of font options if you so desire to just type your signature in, so it's not too high-tech.


Cover Cards: A very innovative way to sign for a fan using your own handwriting. Less cost effective, but far more personal.

 Before I discovered Kindlegraph, I actually issued a few of these. I sometimes keep a couple in my wallet as they make a great, random gift to be remembered by.

What Authors Do: Print some wallet-sized copies of your cover art. At Wal-Mart (and probably any other crafy, officey supply place) you can get a type of self-laminating pouch that seals. It doesn't cost very much. Sign the backs of your cover art, cut them out, and place one inside each laminated pouch. You know have a Cover Card, with your very own inked signature. If you are more tech savvy then me, you can probably figure out a way to print it on business cards, with your website and such on the back of the card, along with your signature. I've also heard you can get something like this through places like Vista Print.

What Readers Do: Enter contests, be nice to authors, become a collection fanatic. The options are endless. :)

I think I've bored you all enough with my lessons for today. Oh, and, all of my available releases are on Kindlegraph...Just sayin' ~ D. F. Krieger

2 comments:

gayl said...

I love the idea of this. Is there a way to sign the actual book instead of just the cover for giveaways?

Ann Harrison said...

I actually found out about this last week, a big buzz and I have some signed already.
But the bit that puzzles me, can you actually attach this page to the book on your kindle or not?
Might be a dumb question, just thought I'd ask.