D. F. Krieger

Monday, July 9, 2012

Must Read Monday: To Honor

Releasing July 10th, Available now for pre-order. Click to buy. Only $3.99

Everyone has their breaking point and Evelyn has finally reached hers. In an attempt to escape her life, and the events that broke her heart and killed her dreams, she tries to commit suicide. Now, at R&R Resort, she must find the strength to love and trust again. But can she trust the person who betrayed her the most?

Derek made the wrong decision, one that damn near cost him everything he ever loved. When his wife attempts suicide, his superior officer recommends a military only health facility called R&R Resort. His wife is alive, but can he heal the wounds that are tearing their marriage apart?


This was, by far, the hardest book I've ever written. This emotional journey is a reflection of one I took in reality; which includes a stay in a psych ward. I wasn't lucky enough to get a free pass to a military-only facility, but Evelyn's fears and struggles come from the true experience.

To Honor is particularly special to me because, unlike many romance novels, it is a travel into the territories of invisible illness. Those who don't suffer from one simply don't get it. It truly is a situation of you either get it, or you don't. Invisible illness like PTSD, depression, etc are very real and very life altering. They can make getting out of bed one of the worst struggles you deal with on a daily basis. I wrote To Honor in hopes of reaching out to those that suffer and letting them know one key thing that could have helped keep me from attempting to take my own life in 2011...YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

During this week I will be delving deeper into my experiences and how they influenced this book at various blogs. Tuesday I'll be at Book Babe, Wednesday at Shyla Colt's blog, and Thursday at Decadent Decisions. There is a possibility of more blog visits to come.

I'm also giving away a free copy of To Honor to one lucky winner. To enter, you simple must leave a comment as to what kind of invisibly illness you've seen someone struggle with or struggled with yourself. You are also free to leave me a question if you so choose.  ~ D. F. Krieger

6 comments:

Tamara Monteau said...

I'm one of those, unfortunately, who do know about invisible illnesses and how they affect a person's life. I have a severe anxiety problem that keeps me home most of the time, and depression I've struggled with most of my life. When I finally sought help, my mother-in-law said I needed to go to church, and 'what do you have to be depressed about?' It took another daughter-in-law to be diagnosed bi-polar for the family as a whole to understand.

This book sounds great! I applaud your effort to reach out, and let people know how hard it is being on the inside.

Angelina Rain said...

I plan on reading your book this weekend! It will be my first weekend off from job #2 as they finally let me quit.

I've suffered with depression and severe social anxiety all my life. I was so scared of talking to people that I would actually turn all red, get very embarressed, and run away.

gayl said...

I think the hardest thing about suffering an invisible illness is when you deny it exists. Depression was like that for me. The longer you hide behind the mask of normalcy, the harder it hits you and affects your family. It took me a long time to reach out because I was pretty sure I was strong enough to deal with it on my own. I was wrong.

I'm looking forward to reading this. Thank you for sharing such a personal story with us.

Author Nikki Prince said...

For me it has always been depression. Depression from various things that have happened in my life. This book speaks to me...

Thank you,

Nikki
ebonysbbwnikki@yahoo.com

Raven McAllan said...

I feel for you all, thank you D.F for the blog and to you all who comented.

CelticAmazon said...

My hubby and I both were in the military during Viet Nam and we both have PTSD. It is a struggle at times, but I have had some wonderful help in the past and currently. I like that you are writing about any kind of disability as that is more true to life. I would love to read this.
Patricia
panthers.ravens@yahoo dot com