D. F. Krieger

Friday, November 30, 2012

Thankful Animals and Authors: Ari Harper

Today is the last post for our Thankful Animals and Authors series. Tomorrow ushers in the holiday season and many thoughts towards Christmas. I can't think of a better way to celebrate than to introduce you to Ari Harper and Hugo. 



HUGO - THE FAILED GUIDE DOG

My story isn't about rescued animals, it is about animals that don't turn out to be good enough for their original purpose.
Ever wondered what happens to dogs that don't make the grade at Guide Dog school? Me too until I made the call. They are sold as pets and believe it or not there was a waiting list because these dogs have had around $30,000 worth of training by the time D Day comes around.
I wanted to visit hospital patients and one of these well trained dogs seemed like a good idea at the time. I called and put my name on the long list. When I told them what I had planned, I was offered Hugo, a beautiful black pure bred lab that makes your normal lab look tiny. He is a huge boy and they nicknamed him Huge because of it. When trim and terrific he weighs in at 40 kilos.

Unfortunately my venture didn't happen but that is neither here nor there.
Now Hugo is the most gentle dog you could come across. I look after kids from home and they run all over him, cuddles, dress ups, you name it. Hugo takes it all in his stride. The thing that gets him going and the ultimate point that failed him is his determination to make friends with every dog he sees.
For six years I have walked him on an almost daily basis around town without a problem until that fateful day when I decided to change the route that we went.
BIG MISTAKE.
Behind a fence were two dogs that Hugo had never seen before and before I knew what was happening I was flying through the air like Superman, hand held out holding onto the lead according to my walking friend.
This is why he failed. I landed in the middle of the road on my elbow and ended up in hospital. Sadly our walks are now over and we have to take him out bush to get his exercise. No matter what I do, I can't get him to stop pulling when he gets excited.
Even a collar from The Dog Whisperer didn't deter him from dragging me along.
I love my big boy and will never regret taking him. He became a character in my Young Adult Book due out November 30th 'Witchling' which I write under the name Ari Harper.
As Nera's shadow he shines and I couldn't be more proud of the big guy.


Follow me at www.annbharrison.com  <--More adult stuff
                       www.ariharper.com <---YA stuff
  Facebook  https://www.facebook.com/annb.harrison.7
Twitter   https://twitter.com/AnnBHarrison  


Nera is a normal teenage girl living in Ireland, until she discovers the secret her family is hiding. Now her world is forever changed.

Nera is a normal teenage girl living in Ireland—or so she thought. Her world is forever changed when she discovers that she is descended from a long line of witches. To her horror she finds she is the one that is supposed to stop the curse that has taken the life of every girl before her.

As if that isn't enough, she must learn to use magic and her trainer is a man named Bones. He is the son of Mari, Queen of the Witches, and a god. It is Bones that has been entrusted to teach her the skills she needs to stay alive, which wouldn't be so bad if he didn't have an uncanny knack for pushing her buttons.

Can Nera learn what she needs while staying immune to the charms of the man that gets under her skin at every opportunity? 

Thanks for stopping by and sharing Hugo's story with us. He's really, really big. Eeek! Okay readers, here's my last contest for this month. Leave a comment and you could win a copy of Witchling!~ D. F. Krieger

5 comments:

Aurelia B Rowl said...

Oh Hugo is lovely! And big!! Buddy comes in at 32kg and he's not small by any stretch. But what is it with black labs and pulling? We have to have a 'halti' for Buddy and he's still super strong. I can't complain too much, as there was a news article in a newspaper a fair few years back where a woman had fallen into quick sand and was going down fast. She called her black lab over and got his lead on him and he then managed to haul her out, undoubtedly saving her life.

Thank you for some wonderful blog posts Deadra, it's been really nice meeting all these gorgeous animals :-)

max said...

How sweet, Hugo! One of my dogs was being trained as a pet assisted therapy dog. He failed out because he got hip dysplasia and was put on restriction. But he's still a lovey boy and if you cry near him, look out! He's all over you :)

Ann Harrison said...

Thanks for having us Deadra. It was a pleasure to visit you and your animals.

Ann Harrison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Téa Cooper said...

I think Hugo and Poppy might be a marriage made in heaven. We shall have to introduce them!