D. F. Krieger

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thankful Animals and Authors: DC Juris

Today I have the pleasure of hosting DC Juris on my blog. I hope you all are as touched by DC's rescued pets as I am. Welcome DC!



Hi folks! DC Juris here. I’m a transgender fella who writes GLBTQ romance.

Now, everyone who knows me knows I’ve made a life-long habit of rescuing various critters, from cats to turtles and everything in between. Part of that is made possible by the fact that, for the last 7 or so years, I’ve worked in the veterinary field.

If I talked about all the furry bodies I’ve saved over the years, this would take forever. So, I’ve picked two of them to talk about today - my adorable kitty, Lollypop and my even-more-adorable doggie, Wallace.

Lollypop’s story has a rather tragic beginning. Her original owners were sent to jail, leaving her and her three babies out in the street. One of her babies didn’t make it, and that’s when the neighbors finally decided maybe they should do something. They brought her to the clinic and basically handed her over to us. Unfortunately, a second of her babies was too far gone for us to help, and passed away. The third baby was thriving, though.

Lollypop herself was in pretty bad shape. Aside from needing to be spayed, she had a massive Roundworm infestation, bad teeth, and her coat was horrendous. We got her all taken care of, and promptly put her up for adoption. There was just one problem - nobody wanted her. Several people who came to look at her said she was just “too ugly.” You see, Lollypop is a Himalayan, and her face is flatter than most. In fact, she has no lips. We’re not sure if it’s an issue of inbreeding or some genetic mistake, but she’s lipless!

Now, the worst thing you can say to me is “that animal is too ugly.” Growing up, I wasn’t a very attractive kid, and I still don’t consider myself all that much of a catch when it comes to looks. So for someone to turn down owning a perfectly wonderful bundle of fur just because it’s not “typically pretty?” 

Long story short, Lollypop came to live with us about a month after she arrived at the clinic. She’s completely unfazed by other cats, or our pack of 4 dogs. She doesn’t care about people coming into or out of the house. Loud noises, construction - nothing fazes this cat.



Now, onto Wallace.

Wallace is another furry friend I ended up with by way of the clinic where I work. About two years ago, one of our local shelters called us up, and said they had a 5 month old pug puppy to euthanize because he had a broken leg. Now, normally they’d just handle that at their location, but the person who euthanized animals was on vacation.

I saw that note on the schedule, and I knew... Yeah, I was probably going to end up with another dog.

When they arrived with him, our owner looked him over and refused to kill him. “He’s a dog, not a horse,” she said. “All he needs is a split and cage rest.” They told her they didn’t have the “manpower” for that, so they were going to take him to another veterinary clinic and have him put down there.

::sigh::

I went back into x-ray, and one of the technicians was holding this tiny, shaking bundle. I took him from her and he looked up at me with these big, brown eyes. I promptly leaned down and nibbled on his ear, which he seemed to like very much, because he nuzzled me and stopped shaking. Of course, I’d been reeled in, hook, line, and sinker. 

As it turned out, his leg was broken in two places, and couldn’t be simply splinted. Within the next couple days, I ended up taking him to a larger vet hospital in Ithaca, where he had pins and screws surgically installed. Six thousand dollars later, Wallace came home with me. My boss graciously paid the total, and I paid her back half over time. He needed 8 weeks of complete cage rest, so he traveled to and from work with me, spending his days in a baby playpen, being cooed over by all the staff and anyone who happened to walk by my desk. He spent his evenings stretched out beside me on the bed, tucked against my tummy.

As a result of his cage rest and how strongly we bonded, he’s very much Daddy’s boy. When I take him out in public he sticks to me like glue, and looks at me for permission before he approaches anyone or lets anyone approach him. He listens to me better than he does my Husband, and is so excited when I come home from work that he can barely keep a straight line when he runs to greet me.

This is him when he first came home - lots of stitches and a big ol’ swollen leg.



And here he is last year, running with his pal Higgins like nothing ever happened.






Wow, what stories. I'm really glad those animals found you! And they look so happy in their pictures. Thank you for sharing this with us. I noticed that you write GBLT and transgendered romance. That's awesome! Would you like to share any of your books with us today?


Oscar is excited to meet Derek's family. But Derek's mother is transphobic. Can Oscar help Derek's mom to accept Derek, or will the family split for good?

Chains? Check. Lube? Check. Popsicles? Check!! Oscar and his transgender lover, Derek, are all set for a long weekend of some much needed—and more than a little bit kinky—alone time. When Derek gets an invitation to a get-together from his mother, Oscar is excited for the chance to finally meet Derek's elusive family, even if it'll cut their "festivities" short. But he soon learns the reasons why he hasn't met them yet - the majority of Derek's family, including his mother, are transphobic. Oscar and Derek attend the function anyway, but the stress sends Derek into an all-night migraine, and Oscar is forced to look for help from the last person he wants to: Derek's mom, Beverly. Can Oscar convince Beverly that Derek is her child, regardless of gender? Or will Beverly's narrow-minded ways split her family apart for good?
http://www.breathlesspress.com/index.php?main_page=product_free_shipping_info&cPath=1&products_id=392


Bryce finds himself smack in a zombie apocalypse, and meets the man of his dreams along the way.

Bryce never expected to find himself smack in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, and he certainly never expected to meet the man of his dreams along the way. But there's more than zombies in the way of his happily ever after. Richard comes with baggage, in the form of his on again, off again bipolar lover Cole, who is off his meds and descending into his own mental hell at an alarming rate. Will the three men be able to work out their romantic feelings? Oh yeah...and then there's that little issue of the zombies...
http://www.breathlesspress.com/index.php?main_page=product_free_shipping_info&cPath=1&products_id=308#.UKVXHYaRDPQ
 
Wow, both of those books sound so awesome. I'm particularly like how Bad Moon Rising sounds! Thanks for stopping by. Readers, I'll purchase a copy of one of the above books and send it to you if you leave a comment! ~ D. F. Krieger

5 comments:

Ann Harrison said...

Oh what a wonderful story Daniel. And that is a beautiful cat. She is so lucky you found her. What a fabulous family you have.

max said...

This is so lovely. Animal stories always make me cry!

~max

Layla Hunter said...

Just loved your tales! What an amazing heart you have and I understand where you are coming from. We, too, have a place in our hearts for those animals that aren't perfect ... special needs don't put us off in any way! All the best to you and yours!

Larion aka Larriane Wills said...

I had a friend who retired, went in to work part time at the animal shelter and ended up with seven dogs. you and she would have been great friends.

Eva's Flowers said...

What an awesome person you are! I love the name you gave your kitty, Lollypop, what a cool name :) And Wallace he looks and sounds like a great friend.