D. F. Krieger

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankful Animals and Authors: Tea Cooper

Please help me welcome Tea Cooper. She's stopped by to share her rescue story with us about her dog, Poppy.



It was a very hot November 11th and I was pretty close to hitting rock bottom. One of those stages when nothing was going right and everything and everyone I touched burned me.

I was driving home whining and complaining to myself in the car and passed the sign to the RSPCA shelter. For some reason I turned around and went down the rather dodgy dirt road. 

It was almost twelve months to the day that Sophie, my daughter’s Rotweiller cross that I had inherited, had been put down. I was supposed to be enjoying the freedom and lack of responsibility of not having a dog.
I parked the car and wandered in past a cage full of cats. I quite like cats, especially their supercilious independence but a cat was out of the question. The bush property I owned had a ‘cat convenant’ on it – to the uninitiated that’s Australian for No cats allowed, not now not ever. I used to think it was silly but once I got to know the bird life I decided the bush belonged to the birds. A cat was out of the question.

Further along there was one large cage away from all the others, more a jail than a cage. Trying very hard to escape and eat its way through metal fencing was a very frustrated, loudly complaining dead ringer for Sophie. I couldn’t believe it.

The dog had been dumped the night before. It had food aggression and had to be kept in isolation because it tried to eat all the other dogs. Obviously it was feeling pretty much the way I was.
I wasn’t allowed into the cage but I stuck my hand through the wire much to the dismay of the attendant and was rewarded with a rather dubious sniff, after a few minutes they left me alone and I sneaked in and just stood there. The dog came and sat on my foot - like recognizing like I suspect.

To cut a very long story short I managed to talk them out of putting her down. They released her to me on a three month trial – only because I had owned a Rotweiller cross before I was told. 

That was nine years ago and since then we’ve both managed to get our acts together and if you check out the dedication in my first book Tree Change when it comes out you’ll know who it was that “walked every step of the way with me.”

Meet Poppy…

Wow, that's so not the kind of dog I would associate with a flowery named like Poppy. LOL.  I'm really glad you two found each other though. Sounds like it was meant to be. On another note, could you tell us about the upcoming release you mentioned?


Forced to choose between the world she wants and the man she loves, Cassia opts for fame and fortune. But it's not enough—one taste and she's hooked again...

Despite her success in the Sydney art world, Cassia yearns for the idyllic life she once lead with Jake in their shack over looking the Pacific Ocean. Seeking closure she falls, like an addict, straight back into his arms, and out again equally quickly. Not only has he taken up with his brother's wife, but it seems they have a child.

Truth is, Jake's living a lie, sworn to secrecy, and hamstrung by the debt he owes his estranged family. But one glimpse of Cassia and he knows he cannot live without her. Her fey, artistic character and magical body possess his imagination and his heart. Can he convince her to trust him long enough to save the crumbling remains of their relationship? 

Pre-Order Link: http://www.breathlesspress.com/index.php?main_page=product_free_shipping_info&cPath=15&products_id=395#.UK6EaoaRDPQ

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your story with us. To all our friends who celebrate, Happy Thanksgiving! ~ D. F. Krieger


8 comments:

Aurelia B Rowl said...

Wow, that was a close call for Poppy. Something or someone was definitely at work here to bring the two of you together.

And no, she doesn't look like a Poppy, but on Remembrance Day/Armistice Day I cannot think of anything more appropriate :-)

Best wishes on your upcoming release!

gayl said...

What a touching story. Poppy definitely doesn't fit in appearance but I do love the name.

And your cover is one of my favorites. Looking forward to your book.

Vonnie said...

Fellow Aussie here (ex Kiwi) who's been through just those 'I need a dog and the dog needs me' experiences. Our best - in every sense of the word - dog was a German Shepherd, police trained and ready to be put down because it didn't get on with its trainer. You guessed it; when the trainer failed for a second time it was his job on the line. But too late for the big guy we took home. Scared the living daylights out of me. Superb Kaiser.

Eva Scott said...

That is a fabulous dog story. I believe in the power of dogs and your story proves the point.

lorryh said...

Iknow Poppy and she is adorable:) Tea has trained her perfectly.

Wishing you every success for your book release. I've ordered one!
xxx Lorraine

Téa Cooper said...

Oh! Thanks everyone for your lovely comments. Poppy and I are thrilled to be featured!! Thanks Deadra for the opportunity
I can't understand why everyone thinks she doesn't look like a 'Poppy'. You should see her mouth when she latches on to a nice juicy bone!! Blood red...
If you do read my book, with the beautiful cover - thanks to Victoria Miller - check out the dedication!

Susie Medwell said...

What a lovely story - and Poppy looks gorgeous. I believe a lot of animals have a knack of finding the right person for themselves - she was obviously waiting for you and wasn't going to settle for anything less! I'd love to have a dog again (I've always had one), but at the moment it's a no-no, so it's a supercilious cat for me! Good luck with the book!

Layla Hunter said...

What a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing!