"These are a few of my favorite things."
Yep, we all know the tune. When I was very young, an elderly friend of my mom's gave me a small, hand-sized doll that plays this song when you push a button on her. That was roughly 18 years ago and I still have that doll. She doesn't go on the Yule tree, even though she's an ornament. She is always placed gently on a bookshelf, above tiny fingers of toddlers (now that I'm a mom) and occasionally I will push the button so I can watch my kids listen to her as raptly as I used to.
Sentimental. Me? *Glances side to side* I have no idea what you are talking about...
*Ahem* Anyway, today I'd like to share a few of my favorite things with you:
1. Animal Rescue. Yes, we all know I'm an animal rescue buff. Why is it one of my favorite things? Because you just can't beat that feeling of pride and accomplishment when you see an animal find their forever family, especially when they've had a very harsh past, and you know you had a hand in it.
2. My Family. Yes, there are four of us, but we count as a singular unit. In my mind, if any of us were missing, we'd no longer be able to fully function, so family is considered one thing. I love my family. Some of us are crazy, some of us have so weird tastes that go this side of strange, some may be too hyper, loud, high-strung, or inexperienced but I wouldn't want it any other way.
3. Video Games. Video games are one of my few indulgences. I don't spend a lot of money on them, but there is nothing like the stress relief of smacking the holy heck out of a fierce dragon with my sword. Or knowing the only reason your husband survived being surrounded by all those orcs is because you are a stellar healer. (Love you, 'tupid barbarian.) Video games are a favorite thing of mine because they provide an outlet for my aggression and a getaway when I need it, but can't afford to really hunt down a dragon or the medical bills that will be involved if I smack it with a sword.
4. Crafts. I love to crochet, cross stitch, and paint statues. I love making something beautiful, even if it has no true purpose. Well, I can't say that about the blankets I've crocheted. You would literally need to kill half my family to take their blankets from them. Crafts are one of my favorite things because they also provide me a sense of stress relief. A calm washes over me when I'm doing any of these things and since it's a healthy, I don't need to see a psychiatrist for my addiction, kind of stress relief, I think we're good.
5. Secret Cravings Publishing. I know we were only supposed to pick one book, but I can't. Every single book I have with SCP is special to me and a favorite in its own way. Maybe Baby was a dedication to my husband when he was constantly gone in the Navy. It was my way of showing him the future I hoped we could achieve and the love I have for him. To Honor is an outlet for some very emotional things that happened to me, and my way or reaching out to those who might be suffering from depression. It was my way of saying, "You are not alone." Virtual Code: Infinity Love is a philosophical piece that begs a single question: "When you have nothing left, and you are given the chance to gain everything back, what extreme would you go to?"
I would like to give you, dear reader, an opportunity to pick which story you'd like to win out of the three mentioned above. Please leave a comment sharing a favorite thing with me, plus your e-mail addy so I can contact you if you win (please really do this because it sucks having to track people down!)
If you aren't a member already, please come sign up at SCP's reader's group. Our publisher is constantly holding giveaways, chats with authors, and posting submission calls. You can find it here. Please actually go to this page and join this group as other authors will be posting their favorite things and giveaways too!
To go the Secret Cravings Publishing blog, click here.
And no matter how you celebrate, whether you are religious or not, and where you are, have a safe and happy holidays! ~ D. F. Krieger