D. F. Krieger

Friday, April 19, 2013

Promo Woe

Sales suck and I have no one to blame but myself. Normally, when I blog on here, I do my best to give anyone who reads my blog some tips. Tips on how to manage your time, tips on writing rules, tips on what to expect with publishing...but has anyone noticed I've never given tips on promoting work?

Yeah, that's because I obviously suck at it. I'm in a dilemma and I'd really like some help from anyone willing. I'd like to think I write decent books. I'd also like to think I'm putting books out at a fairly often pace. What I'm not good at is bringing in the sales. I watch books I edit sky rocket. I watch friends I've met rack in the sales, but not me. Why? What am I doing wrong?

I know part of it is because I'm not out there enough. I took a poll last month, asking people to tell me the first thing that came to mind when they thought of me. 80% of my responses were along the lines of "editor." 20% was animal rescue. Only 10% thought of me as an author. So obviously no one equates me as D. F. Krieger, author. Instead, I'm Her Editing Evilness...also known as Editor Deadra Krieger.

That's good. It means I'm good at my job as an editor. But it's also bad because no one sits there thinking, "I can't wait til she comes out with her next book!"

I've tried running blog contests, give aways, and begging for reviews. I'm published through three different houses, and span a few different genres, so it's not like I've boxed myself in. I've done some guest appearances on other people's blogs, but I didn't see anything more come of it than crickets and some uncomfortable fidgeting on my part as I trolled for comments from anyone who might have read the guest post. In a word, YIKES! I'm invisible as an author.

So, dear reader, for once I'd like you guys to shred me apart. What am I lacking? What am I doing wrong? Tell me how to promo my work in a way that will get people to look at me and think "Author" and not just "Editor." I'll give a free cyber cookie to anyone who leaves me a comment! ~ D. F. Krieger

5 comments:

Kacie S. said...

I'm not sure if feedback about promoting your work on Facebook is what you're looking for, but just in case my thoughts are even slightly useful I'll throw my two cents in. I often see you promoting the books that you've edited and not as often promoting the books that you've written. And, when I do see info about your books it never seems as in depth as the other promotions.
I feel like you give a lot of "back story" about the works you've edited, but you forget to give as much about the books you're working on or have finished. Let me clarify that by saying, it's my opinion that I see you talk more about your job as an editor than I see you discuss the process of actually writing, editing, and publishing your own books.
Maybe I'm completely off base and completely oblivious to the fact that you DO those things that I said I'm missing and if that's the case then just ignore the ramblings of an exhausted mom ;)

D. F. Krieger said...

Thanks, Kaci! You know, you are probably more right than I want to admit. I do strive to promo my authors, but I guess I don't ever really mention how something is going with my own work. I tend to promo on release day, but even then it's minimal for fear I'll over-promo. I'll try harder to talk about my books, even if it's a "this is how this book is coming along," comment.

Here's your cookie! (:;)

Angelica Dawson said...

Sadly, Deidre, I can't help you. I have the EXACT same problem. My sales are middling at best (abysmal in the case of my real name). I know I need to put in more time as Kim, but it never seems to gain traction. My sales blow hers away, and I'm best selling on the publishers website, but as I haven't seen those numbers shift since I was listed, I'm not sure how to take that. We'll see with the next release.
Hang in there. We'll navigate this sea somehow...

gayl said...

I probably don't have a leg to stand on by commenting since my sales and promo are abysmal too but I notice that some authors have a 'support group' of other authors who promote each other constantly. Some authors have street teams who promote them. If it isn't just you, if you have a tight knit group of fellow authors who have a wide reach, I'm sure it helps. If no one speaks out about your work after experiencing it, you sort of fade away. If you don't have anyone willing to prop you up and promote you (and vice versa) it can be an uphill climb to get noticed.

just my 2 cents...

Karyn Gerrard said...

Why not separate your editing and writing by picking a new pen name just for the writing? Sometimes a reboot is just the ticket.

:)