D. F. Krieger

Monday, August 8, 2016

Monday Review: Monster Hunter Generations X



Monster Hunter Generations X released on the 3DS for the US in July. I've had enough time to play with the game and get a feel for it. There are several new features that really caught my attention this edition.

First of all, one of my biggest complaints in the previous games was the fact I had to run all the way back to my house to change gear. In the newest game, there's a "Hunter Prep Area" that allows you to change gear, use the blacksmith, access the House Felyne (which gives access to Meownster Hunters, etc), and access the Palico Board.

While we're on the subject of Palico's... You can now play AS your Palico. That's right. You heard me. You can kick butt and take names in Felyne form. There are actually missions specifically for Palico playtime called Prowler Missions. Though, you can take any hunter mission in town or in the guild hall as a Palico (so far. This may be restricted further in the game.) You can even play with your friends where they are human and you are a Palico, if you so desire. Scraps for armor aren't just obtained through Meownster Hunter missions anymore either. I highly recommend going as a Palico any time you have gathering missions as they can gather without needing pickaxes or bug nets.



Another facet of Palico refinement I'm pleased with is that you aren't stuck with your main Palico being unchangeable anymore. You can recruit, rename, and play as any Palico you hire through the Meowstriss. And she gives you lots of options (from looks to skill types) to use for recruiting.

The graphics are updated, and as gorgeous as ever. If you have played previous games, you'll be pleased to know you'll see some furr-miliar...Uh, I mean familiar faces in the game. I won't spoil it, but I enjoyed it. The maps still allow interaction in the sense of being able to mount monsters.

The newest monters are gorgeous, and I especially love the look and movement of the Malfestio. They've changed the weapons systems for leveling up slightly, and introduced a new system overall that I'm still getting a feel for. I can't give too much of an opinion on it as I'm still not terribly far in the game.

Overall, I think this is my favorite version of Monster Hunter yet. Things that I found lacking in previous editions were solved in this one. Happy Hunting!

No comments: